Legal Quandary

Sunday, December 19, 2004

Remiss

I realized this morning that I haven't posted in something like 4 days. The reason for this is that I have been busy working and trying to catch up on the housework I've been neglecting for the past 10 weeks.

Also - Wednesday evening was totally sucked up getting the Elder Child ready to go visit her father in an unnamed midwestern state the following morning.

If the current husband is Mr. "Quandary", that would have to make my ex, Mr. "Effing Clueless." But we'll just call him "Roundboy" for the sake of simplicity. He picked up that nickname when the Elder Child was just a baby, and a couple of his friends promised to pay us some large amount of money if her first word was "Roundboy." It wasn't, but since there was really no chance in hell the friends would have paid up anyway, it wasn't a great loss.

Sadly, I married Roundboy way too young. So, let this serve as a warning to all you 20-somethings. At some point the guy who is "so spontaneous and just a blast to hang out with" transforms into "that irresponsible loser." And if you marry him and have a child, this is a very very bad thing because someone should have a job and be responsible, and it will probably end up being you. Then you get divorced and end up having to keep in touch with him and let him make questionable parenting decisions for the next 15 years. And he encroaches on your holidays.

This is my year to have the Elder Child for Christmas, so the only reason she went to visit Roundboy was because he is finally graduating from college. After 19 years. Clearly, like E.Spat, I had fabulous taste in men in my younger days. But, I either a) got very lucky or b) learned my lesson, because Mr. Quandary is a wonderful husband and father, and probably the best person I know. Much better than I deserve, obviously, but no one ever said life was fair. Truth be told, it's probably choice "a," if the guys I dated immediately after my divorce from Roundboy are any indication.

With any luck (and if Roundboy holds true to form) I should have at least one or two good stories upon Elder Child's return.