Legal Quandary

Saturday, October 22, 2005

One of These Things is Not Like the Other

I've been doing a lot of multi-cultural eating lately. For example, a couple of weeks ago we had a Thai noodle soup on Friday, went out for Lebanese food on Saturday lunch, and then had friends over. We made Mexican and they brought these fantabulous Vietnamese sandwiches. It all went surprisingly well together.

This weekend I made crepes for dinner last night, Tom Yam Goong (Thai Hot & Sour Soup) for lunch today, and tomorrow I'm planning to bake pita bread and make falafel with tahini sauce.

Of course, the ingredients for some of these dishes aren't exactly available at the local Giant store. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find Kafir Lime leaves? (Bangkok 54 in Arlington is the only place I've found them - look in the freezer section.)

So, in the space of the last week, I've visited at least 3 separate "ethnic" groceries. One Thai (for lime leaves, lemongrass, and red curry), one Vietnamese (Chinese broccoli and shrimp), and one Lebanese (tahini). And I always feel like I'm the only round-eye they've ever seen wandering their aisles.

Aside from learning 3 new languages, does anyone know how to overcome this? Or do I just accept the fact that I'm a culinary oddity and deal with it?