Legal Quandary

Monday, June 19, 2006

LQ's Question of the Day

Don't forget to scroll down and finish the movie meme thing. There's still a couple of movies no one has guessed...

Besides that, here's the QOD. It's a boring one and probably only really relevant to those of us currently suffering through bar prep. Actually, now that I look at it, it's really more of a rant disguised in the form of a question. But hey, as they say - "a bitchin' Marine is a happy Marine." As much as I whine, I must be ecstatic.

What do you wish everybody else (meaning non law students/lawyers/people more than a few years removed from the process) understood about the bar exam?


Mainly I wish people understood that the bar exam happens exactly TWICE a year and if we fail it in July, we get to retake it in February. The states vary dates VERY slightly in order to allow some people (crazy ones) to take more than one state's exam, but this year's July bar falls somewhere between the 24th and 28th of July. (I'm pretty sure those dates account for all the states.) Some states have 2 day exams. At least one state (that's right - MINE!) has a 3 day exam.

So, to say this is an important test is something of an understatement. It also means that I am not "finished studying for my 'boards'" a mere week after graduation. "OK", you say, "but didn't you go to school for 3 years to learn everything you need to know to pass the bar exam?" "Screw you!" I say. Sort of. While theoretically we could have been exposed to every topic on the bar, most of us have not taken every single subject covered on our bar exams. Partly because we wanted to have at least a couple of classes during school that made us remember why we were there, and partly because sometimes your school's schedule just doesn't allow for it. Also, some subjects that are tested are really more "things that sort of apply to multiple areas" than real subjects. I don't know if it's even possible to TAKE a whole class in Community Property, but I also know that you'd damned well better know it for Family Law, Property, Wills & Trusts, and Contracts, because it applies in all those areas.

So..yeah...my point was? My point was that bar prep is a lot of work. So yes, I really DO need to study that much. Oh - and for the person who keeps asking - I know you mean well, but asking me what the chances are that I'll be able to "sneak away" to take my mom to see the monastery in town, the answer is "no chance in hell." First, we live in the outskirts of Washington DC. The monastery doesn't even make the top 10 list of places to see. Second, my mother lives in Europe. She's seen a monastery or 6. Third, see the screed above about "busy studying."

Anyway - leave your answer in the comments. I'll be needing some amusement once I comprehend exactly how much I suck at both ConLaw and Contracts.

Now, if you'll all excuse me, I have several essays to write...