Legal Quandary

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Legal Eats!


Vanilla Gorilla requested that I post photos of the first Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies to come out of the Blue Kitchen. Just for you, O Hairy One...

I also tried something different with the recipe this time. I like how the cookies turned out, so I figured I'd share. Since at least one person liked the idea of recipes every once in awhile. (I know there's more of you. You're just shy or didn't get around to commenting - it's ok.)

This recipe substitutes ground hazelnuts for some of the flour, which probably adds some fat, but also adds a nice flavor and all the nutritional benefits of hazelnuts. (Vitamin E, Copper, Manganese & Magnesium.) Trader Joe's sells them already ground as "Hazelnut Meal". Be sure to use real butter for all baking. Margarine just doesn't compare. Sure butter adds saturated fat, but it also tastes soooo much better. Also - you're eating cookies - you can't be all that concerned...

2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 c brown sugar lightly packed
1/2 granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 t vanilla
1 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c ground hazelnut
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t salt
3 c quick cooking oats - uncooked
1 1/2 c semi-sweet chocolate chips (I use Nestle Toll House)
1 c chopped pecans (optional)

Cream sugars and butter together. Add vanilla and eggs & beat well. In a separate bowl, combine flour, hazelnuts, baking sode, cinnamon, and salt - whisk together, then gradually add this mix into the butter/sugar mix. Stir in oats. Once combined, stir in chocolate chips & nuts.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and drop rounded spoonfuls. (I use a Pampered Chef small scoop - I own 2 so the kids can help.) Bake until lightly browned in 350 degree oven - about 10-12 minutes. If you like soft cookies, be sure not to overcook. If you want to keep them soft, store them in a tupperware container with a slice of break. The bread will get stale, but the cookies will stay soft. Don't ask me why this works, but it does.

I rarely bake the whole batch. Usually, I scoop them all out onto a wax paper lined cookie sheet and freeze. (See the photo) Once frozen, I store them in a gallon-sized Ziplock bag in the freezer. That way we don't feel compelled to eat dozens of cookies at a time, but always have treats on hand.

If you're not a fan of hazelnuts, just substitute more all-purpose flour.

Mmmmm...cookies.

On a side note. As much as I complain about Blogger, I have to give them kudos on their ability to add photos now. Much easier than the way I used to do it. So...good job, Blogger!

Comments:
Damn you for moving away!
 
I can smell them
 
Post a Comment

<< Home