Legal Quandary

Thursday, November 03, 2005

A Broken Rule

The first rule of grocery shopping is, of course: never shop hungry. Did I pay any heed to this rule today? No, I did not.

Mr. Q and I were tentatively supposed to meet in Chinatown for lunch in the hopes of finding someplace fabulous for dim sum. (Any of you DC types know of any?) Alas, he got sucked into serial meetings, so we didn't go. I ended up staying at school for a "Lunch and Learn," but sans the lunch. The upshot of this is that I got home at about 3 and was starving.

And then I went to Whole Foods.

I intended to just grab some Zadjiki (their spelling - I would normally go with "Tzatziki", myself) and a little wedge of Cambozola. But I ended up spending way too much time (and money) in the cheese department. When I first walked into the store, they were giving out samples of brie with fig spread and almonds on little toast rounds. I know it might sound like a strange combination, but it tasted divine!

When I got back to the cheese counter, the guy had to look in back for the Cambozola. Which was fine, because the other gentleman was slicing up samples of Appenzeller, which he insisted I try. Like a mild swiss, but with more of a gouda texture. Of course, I bought some and I can totally see myself sitting down with a little fruit and eating this all in one sitting. And then, because it took a little while to get the Cambozola sliced, I started looking for a nice Brie to try - though I'm not normally a huge fan of Brie (if you get cheap Brie, all you taste is the rind and it tends to be rubbery in texture.) I opted for a small wedge of Fromage d'Affinois. After tasting this, I will never malign Brie again. So yummy. So creamy. I seriously had to restrain myself from eating the whole thing. If you generally like cheese (shocking as it may sound, there are people who don't - I only know because I married one), and you don't think you like Brie because all you've had is the stuff they put out at law school receptions, please go out and try the Affinois. Oh, and if you do opt for any Brie - make sure you let it sit out, since it's supposed to be very soft.

Between all the samples and the cheese I ate when I got home, I didn't have room for the beautiful Italian sandwich I bought. I guess it'll have to wait til tomorrow. I'm sure it'll go nicely with some pita chips and zadjiki.