Legal Quandary

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Maybe Law School Is Finally Out of My System

I was chatting with a friend a couple of nights ago. During the course of conversation, he mentioned that one of the girls from TVPNU failed the CA bar - did I know her?

Yes, sadly, I knew "Doreen" pretty well. She had been in my 1L small section and seemed to go out of her way to make my life miserable. A snide comment here, a blatent exclusion from a conversation there, insinuations that I wasn't smart enough for law school thrown in for good measure - that kind of thing. Early on, Doreen and I were talking and she told me "well, YOU were military, so you probably think "X" about this issue." I remember that really rankled me, because although I did indeed think "X" about that particular matter (I forget what it was,) it isn't as if they issue all military members a handbook of opinions to espouse. There are lots of pretty key issues some of my other military friends and I disagree rather sharply on. Bottom line was Doreen wasn't very nice to me and she was one of 2 people I spent the rest of my time at TVPNU avoiding.

And yet, my initial reaction was not my standard "It couldn't have happened to a nicer person," but to think how disappointed Doreen and her family must be.

Mr. Q was somewhat less generous, just saying "What comes around goes around."

For any 1L's out there, my message is this: There are some people in law school who will go out of their way to be nasty to you and to make you feel "less than." I'm certain that Doreen did much better in her 1L classes than I did. But in the end, it didn't make her any better prepared to be a lawyer than it did me. As you're approaching this first batch of finals, don't let the bastards get you down.

Labels: