Legal Quandary

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Why?

Why do people presume they know my kids and my situation better than I do?

It's been about 2 years since Mr. Q and I purchased our current cell phones. Since they weren't exactly "high tech" to begin with, this means they're pretty dated. We've been batting around the idea of switching service providers, but are running into a roadblock with keeping our old cell numbers. Yes, there's a law that says you're supposed to be able to switch cell phone providers without losing your number but there's a hitch.

Wireless local number portability (WLNP) allows wireless subscribers to change service providers within a given location while retaining the same phone number. Wireless consumers who wish to port their phone number must contact the prospective new carrier, who will start the process of porting by contacting the consumer's current carrier. (From the FCC's Page)

Therein lies the rub. Our numbers are in an area code that's 2000 miles away - and although everyone assures me that they could START service within that area code, I get mixed responses as to whether I'd be able to keep the number I already have.

Anyway, I went in and talked to a rep for our current service provider, who looked at my phone and assured me that it was a big part of why I sort of hate CSP. So she just about had me sold on a new PDA/phone, when she noticed EC. And she asked whether EC had a phone. I laughed and said no, because I'm a firm believer that 13 year olds should NOT have cellphones. Then the rep launched into this pitch about how cell phones are great when kids have "extracurricular activities" and how "you can limit their calling" and such.

I'm still 110% certain that EC is not getting a cell phone. She is involved in several extracurricular activities, but there are landlines anywhere she's likely to be. I know two of her friends have recently gotten cell phones, and one of them complains that the other is constantly texting her - most recently at 2am. It just irks me that a total stranger would seriously try to convince me that my child needs what amounts to an expensive toy even after I made it perfectly clear that there was no chance in hell she was getting one.

Also, based on EC's abysmal performance on her last couple of Geometry tests, I'm not certain she can be trusted with a radio - let alone a piece of equipment which both receives and transmits.