Legal Quandary

Monday, December 27, 2004

Dear Kitchen Quandary...

Apparently posting the contents of my kitchen cabinets and pantry was a stroke of genius on my part. Either that or just freaky enough to make people want to comment and ask questions. I'm going with the genius theory...

E. McPan asks: Maybe this is a dumb question, but what do you do with the instructions if you pour everything into a tupperware box? (Obviously, I'm so out of whack that I wouldn't know how much Cream of Wheat to use per serving.)

That's not a dumb question. Most of the stuff I keep in the containers are things like rice, flour, oatmeal, etc. - things that I don't really need instructions for. As far as the Cream of Wheat goes, I don't really follow their instructions anyway. I did for awhile, and then just got good at figuring out what "looked about right." I'm not a very precise cook anyway, so recipes are just sort of the roadmap from which to deviate. And if you read the Cream of Wheat instructions, they tell you to add salt. Salt! Blech! As in, not even worth eating! Who adds salt to something you're just going to top with chocolate chips anyway?

I also don't buy "Cream of Wheat" brand. I switched to "Cream of the West" a couple of years ago because it's less processed and more nutritious. Which is fodder for a whole different post on my obsession with reading labels.

But back to your question - if I did put something into a container and needed the instructions, I have a binder where I put instructions/recipes that I've ripped out of magazines, cut from boxes, etc. So - for example, the awesome oatmeal raisin cookie recipe that comes from the lid of the Quaker Oatmeal container (the big round thing that doesn't fit well anywhere), is in there. Please don't get the impression that I'm organized because the binder is a total mess, but it works for me. The recipes I use a lot - like the oatmeal raisin cookie one - end up stuck into the front cover. The first page has the recipe for the yummy Blueberry/Cranberry Orange antioxidant muffins I love. Beyond that, things are pretty much crammed in there wherever (but in sheet protectors). There are also a lot of recipes in the binder that I haven't used yet, but tore out of a magazine in order to get rid of the magazine. Not that it's really cut down on the number of cooking magazines (and cookbooks) I have - which is also fodder for a future post.

I give you....the Binder-o-Plenty...


Binder-o-Plenty Posted by Hello