Legal Quandary

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Cake Blogging, Part Deux

Shell specifically asked how the cake turned out. (Thanks for asking!)

Here's the cake in the oven. Pretty good even though I had to fiddle with the recipe a bit.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This is after I took it out of the freezer and am getting ready to turn it into an ice cream cake. In retrospect, I should have left it in the freezer until it was completely frozen. Since I didn't, quite a bit of the ice cream ended up soaking into the cake. I also could have probably left the recipe alone. I think it would have looked nicer if it had been a little taller.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The other thing I would have done differently is to use LOTS more ice cream. In my defense, I did ask my sister-in-law if she thought this was enough ice cream. She thought it was going to be more than enough. I think I should have used 2-3 times as much ice cream. It still tasted really good. I think making those couple of changes would make a huge difference. Also, I'm inclined to try this with a more "traditional" birthday cake and add some sort of "barrier" before spreading the ice cream to prevent the seepage. Maybe caramel sauce, oreo cookie crumbs, or chocolate chips. Mr. Q doesn't like caramel (crazy, I know), so that obviously wouldn't have worked here.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The other part of Mr. Q's birthday celebration was the dinner itself. We went to a Greek restaurant Saturday evening. The meal there (not the belly dancer who - trust me - put the "belly" in belly dance) inspired me to do several different types of skewers. Beef with an olive oil/lemon juice/fresh oregano marinade, Pork tenderloin with a rosemary and garlic marinade, and just plain shrimp. Paired with rice, cooked with chicken broth and sauteed onions, garlic, and mushrooms. A shot of white wine would have added a nice flavor, but I wasn't inclined to open a whole bottle. Ratatouille rounded out the meal.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Check out the size of these shrimp!!! They were wonderful, if a little salty. I probably could have given them a better rinse before cooking.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

My sister-in-law also wanted me to point out what a wonderful job she did of cutting veggies for the ratatouille!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Comments:
Oh my! It looks so delicious, I'm hungry again. (Heading for the fridge right now).
 
Post a Comment

<< Home