Legal Quandary

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Exemplary Behavior

Our Commercial Trans professor assigns us problems from his old exams from time to time. The idea is for us to use them as a chance to evaluate our grasp of the concepts. Plus, he uses each one as 5% toward our final grade in the class. Which typically works well for me, since I sort of suck at exam writing, but tend to do fairly well when I can invest some time and thought into my answer. There will still be a final, but at least I'm able to do some damage control up front.

So, 2 or 3 weeks ago, we turned in our first problem. A couple of days later, he handed back our answers, along with an "Exemplar" answer. The answers were stapled shut, so I read the exemplar on my way back to my seat. I chuckled to see that the exemplar started out word-for-word like my own answer. As I kept reading, I realized that it WAS my own answer. I've never had my work held out as a good example in law school before, so I was a little taken aback. I was even more taken aback when I realized that the prof had left my name on it. At TVPNU, we would never even turn anything in with our names on it - we always used exam numbers assigned by Academic Services.

Flash forward to last Friday. We're having our little study group session to talk about the second problem, and one girl starts in on how she "read the sample answer from last time, and *she* would never write something like that on an exam."

I'm sure she was just referring to the fact that I cited extensively to various sections of Article 9 throughout, which *would* be challenging during a final, but still.

I'm nicknaming her Captain Oblivious.