Legal Quandary

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Liar, Liar

I've been meaning to post this for awhile, but have been too lazy busy to get around to it.

EC missed the bus last Monday morning. She had already missed the bus 2 other times earlier this year (sadly, for her, on consecutive days). And she knows Mr. Q and I are pretty hardcore about her being responsible for getting herself out to the bus-stop on time. The bus stop is right across the street from our house, so there's really no reason not to get there.

On this particular morning, my in-laws were still here, so I didn't find out about the missed bus until after I got out of the shower. Mrs. Q said EC had come into the house crying and Dr. Q (which is what we all call Mr. Q's dad, because he's a Dr. It makes sense in our world. Really.) came running upstairs looking for the keys and then jumped in the car to drive her to school. [Insert lengthy conversation about where exactly the school is, what the best way to go is, and Dr. Q's chances of getting lost, here.]

That night Mr. Q and I had a little interrogation session about what had happened. EC stalwartly claimed to have been at the bus stop on time, but said she didn't see or hear the bus until it was pulling away. When we asked why, she said she was huddled down with her sweater over her head. She claimed she didn't hear it because she had a song stuck in her head and it was so loud she couldn't hear anything. Upon further questioning, the story changed slightly - this time she said she was humming.

Would you have believed that story?
Yeah, we didn't either. And it's not like we don't have good reason to doubt.

The thing is, it was true. Or at least the part about her being out there on time. Dr. Q corroborated that she was standing out there well before the bus came, and that he saw the bus pull away without her on it.

This kid never ceases to amaze me. Sometimes I think she was switched at birth because she is nothing like me. Though I have to admit, I felt pretty bad about not believing her when she was telling the truth.

Comments:
Maybe she subconsciously wanted someone to take her to school, like one of her visiting relatives.

Of course, if I said I was hearing songs very loudly in my head, my mom would have hustled me off to the headshrinker in a second.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home