Legal Quandary

Friday, March 03, 2006

I Can't Care

Lil Q is still learning the quirks of the English language, and sometimes gets a little confused about certain phrases. One of the things she mixes up pretty consistently is "don't" and "can't." As a result, she'll often inform us that she "can't" like something. This morning, for example, she informed us that we needed to buy some pink paint for the house because she can't like white walls.

Maybe she's onto something. Maybe she's just really making a firm statement of her opinions and indicating that white walls are somehow SO offensive that not only DOESN'T she like them, she just CAN'T like them.

I can sort of identify because right now, not only DON'T I care, I just CAN'T care. Instead of doing all the law school related work I should be catching up on, I scan the web for things that amuse me. Or work on little projects to close out my dad's estate - which are important, but are not going to help me get caught up on everything I missed during my trip to Germany earlier in the semester. I even went out to lunch in Chinatown the other day. The lengths I'll go to just to avoid Federal Income Tax reading/outlining and writing a paper…. (Apparently the only thing I won't do to avoid homework is clean the house.) To give myself a little credit, I HAVE been good about studying for the MPRE, but that's only because I am mentally ill and think the practice tests are kind of fun.

On the other hand, part of me feels like this is a well deserved break. That my week off in Germany was not exactly relaxing. Sometimes I feel like I don't cut myself any slack for the challenges (albeit some self-inflicted) I've had during law school. How many other people do you know who have, during law school:

* Parented 2 children? (Let's not talk about how successfully…)
* Nursed one of those children for 6 months during 1L? (maybe TMI, but still - it takes up energy, especially when you're getting up a couple of times a night)
* Had a spouse whose job required him to be out of town for a full month during 1L - immediately prior to appellate advocacy competition?
* Worked more than 1 job? (Both part time - and only during 2L)
* Had a parent diagnosed with a terminal illness?
* Had said parent die?
* Been executor of an estate which, quite frankly, could have been a full time job on it's own?
* Moved cross country?
* Had a grandparent die?
* Had a pet die?

I don't want to sound like a whiner because I know that law school is tough for everyone. I'm just saying that I should give myself credit for the fact that any 1 or 2 of those items would add to normal law school stress, and I've had ALL of them.

Maybe it's not an altogether bad thing that I can't care. I could use a break.

Comments:
I have told you this before, you SO deserve a break...even if it's just for a few hours or for one fun thing that you can fit in or whatever...my God, it's been a long 3 years, and particularly with some of the stuff you've had to go through.
 
*insert nice complement and good wishes here* <--I'm not very good with the pseudo-mushy stuff but you deserve something here!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home