Legal Quandary

Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year!

I hope everyone was able to celebrate at least a little! The Quandary's wound up playing board games at one of Mr. Q's classmate's house. I would like to think that if it weren't for the kids, Mr. Q and I would have had a wild night on the town, but I'd probably be fooling myself.

When I was waiting tables during undergrad, every so often the restaurant would be understaffed and we'd get slammed. The people would come pouring in, and you couldn't stay ahead - or even keep up - no matter how hard you tried. I used to get these bizarre dreams that I was waiting on a whole baseball stadium and that everyone was mad at me becuase I kept forgetting their iced tea.

That was sort of what Friday was like for me. Because of the holidays, there were only a couple of attorneys and 2 paralegals in the office. Although we'd posted notice that there would be no legal assistance, a couple of people still wandered in with some bizarre questions - which also required quick answers. Since I was the only military attorney on the 1st floor, I got to field them. The issues weren't all that complex, really, but I just didn't know the answers or even where to start looking for them. Add that to an already full day AND the fact that we had to re-schedule all our legal assistance appointments for Tuesday because of the National Day of Mourning for President Ford, and the one paralegal on my floor and I were pretty busy little chickies! Everything worked out in the end, but that day just couldn't end soon enough!

BUT...when the day was finally over, EC and I had a rock-climbing lesson! (Our Christmas present to her.) There's a place in town that has turned an old church into an indoor climbing center. For under $100, we got a 2 1/2 hour private lesson on how to tie ropes, belay, and climb. I'd never climbed before, but we had a great time. My only complaint was that the special shoes we had to wear were too small and made my feet cramp up a couple of times. Not so bad on the ground, but a little scary when you're hanging onto a wall by just a couple of hand and footholds. (Ok, AND the ropes, but who really wants to fall off the climbing wall??? Especially when it means admitting you can't keep up with your 12 year old!)

That's all from Quandaryland for now. Wishing you all a fantastic 2007!