Legal Quandary

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Back Home Again...

From Indiana.

Actually, the last post was posted in Illinois, now that I think about it.

It was bizarre coming home last night. For one thing, it was hard to believe I'd been gone a week. And that my dad had been gone for a week. I keep feeling like I should call him - the nightly phone call had been part of my routine for so long.

The other strange thing was the realization that this was the last time that I would fly into TVPNM and have it be home. The movers will be here on Tuesday to start packing up our belongings - not that the house looks like we've done anything to prepare for their arrival. Tomorrow will be spent in a mad frenzy of doing laundry and identifying which things must come in the cars with us. (The good tequila and Cointreau will ride in the trunk of my car. Duh.) We'll also be emptying out the shed and then locking everything we don't want the movers to touch in there.

As a general rule, these guys don't work for moving companies because they are the sharpest knives in the drawer. During one of my moves, and after multiple warnings that they wouldn't pack "toxic" or "potentially explosive" items, the movers packed both lawn fertilizer, AND my partly full gas can. I know people who have had their garbage packed up and shipped by the movers. Needless to say, I will be supervising them closely. Unfortunately, there's usually more of them than there are of me. I also have to be at least somewhat nice to them, since they hold the fate of my good china in their rather meaty hands.

Mr. Q informs me that it is time to come upstairs. He's been sorting cd's and has identified several duplicates in our collection. We had vastly different tastes in music when we met, so I jokingly asked if the duplicates were those couple of cd's we both actually liked enough to purchase separately before we met. He said no, mostly they were ones he bought me as gifts. (Peter Gabriel and Indigo Girls among others.) Note: Please, do NOT interprete this as an invitation to tag me with either the book or the music viruses memes that I've seen going around. I just don't have time for that right now.

Comments:
I had my trash packed once...just the whole can from (I think) the bathroom with some moving paper wrapping stuff shoved in it and then taped up and stuck on the truck. (hey, I rhyme). I also, when I moved to TVPNM, opened a bunch of boxes to find HUGE wads of packing paper, like 20 sheets), and then when I opened them there would be maybe a pen and a paper clip. ALSO, I had a mover once fondle my panties that he found in a drawer right in front of me and twirl them on his finger. Just because I own silver panties doesn't mean just anyone gets to touch them!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home