Legal Quandary

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Leader of the Plaque

EC and I had dentist appointments today. I tried to take photos of my now blindingly white teeth, but they all looked creepy, so I didn't post them. (It's hard to take pictures of just a smiling mouth without them looking strange.)

My dentist is very good at what he does. I always walk out feeling like my teeth are nice and clean, and he doesn't rip your gums to shreds in the process. I'm glad he's good at what he does, because I fear he's not too bright in other respects.

First, he talks to me while he's prodding around in my mouth. Why? He knows I can't answer. And then when I do answer, his responses don't make sense.

For example. I took my Professional Responsibility book with me since finals are coming up and I thought it might be good to have at least peeked inside the covers before then. I'm reading away as he comes into the room. He asks me what I'm reading and after I respond..."So, are there any dentists in there?" Huh? I figure he's just confused as to what PR is, and explain it's a book about the profession ethics of the legal profession - kinda like the medical profession has ethical guidelines that govern them. But then starts asking me what rules he should be worried about.

Me: Ummm...I don't know. None - unless you're a lawyer on the side.

Him: No, but I do have a real estate business on the side.

Great.

Later, during the tooth scraping part...

Him: So...what kind of law do you want to practice?

Me: Well, I'm hoping to go back on active duty, and that's a mixed bag, but I really like Labor and Employment law.

Him: Oh yeah! They came out and inspected me about two weeks ago. He was a really nice guy and it was kinda fun digging through the records. Only took a couple of hours.

Me: ????

During the polishing...

Him: So...the Air Force, huh? Did you go to the Academy?

Me: No, I went through Officer Training School.

Him: Oh yeah? What do they call that? I think in the Army, we call that OIC, Officer In Charge.

Me: Umm...you mean OCS? The Air Force calls it OTS - Officer Training School.

Him: Right. Yeah. OCS. Maybe I had it confused with NCO.

Of course.