Legal Quandary

Saturday, July 23, 2005

Friday Spies - Just in Under the Wire

According to the folks over at BTQ, this is the navel-gazing edition.

1. Why did you start blogging?
I think my very first post talks about this. (Note that I am too lazy to link to it - but this is my first Friday Spies in 5 weeks, so that's just gonna have to do). Essentially it boils down to the fact that I'd been reading E.Spat's blog for several months, and thought it would be a good way for me to do some venting. Not to mention procrastinating.

2. Are the reasons you blog now the same as when you started? If
not, what's changed?

While I certainly do use LQ as a forum for my minor personal rants, I find that I refrain from sharing everything. Largely because in the early days I wrote one post expressing my real opinion on something controversial. One or two of my friends commented, but what I wasn't prepared for was the fact that anyone could comment and some stranger did. That's when my conflict avoidant side surfaced and I more or less stopped voicing my true opinion. Mostly.

3. What would make blogging better for you?
If I hadn't told anyone I *actually* know about it and could feel free to really vent without worrying about hurting people's feelings.

4. Do you have comments on your blog? Why or why not? Do you
comment on other blogs? What motivates you to post a comment?

I do have comments (not that many people really use them.) I guess initially, I thought it would be a cool way to exchange thought provoking and potentially world-changing ideas. But, as I mentioned, I'm too chicken-shit to actually post something like that. Now I more or less see it as a way for the dozen or so regulars to email me without having to actually email me.
I comment occasionally on other blogs, but usually have to find something especially funny or moving to do so. This is mainly because I read most of my blogs on bloglines, and it actually takes some effort to go to the original post and comment.

5. What is your philosophy of the blogroll?
I don't know if I would go so far as to say I have a philosophy, other than I try to reciprocate when I'm added to someone else's blogroll. I know there's a couple of people who have added me onto their blogrolls, and I haven't updated mine yet because of my current lack of high speed internet.
That said, I also have some blogs I read that don't make my "public" blogroll.