Legal Quandary

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Confection Perplexion*

I baked sugar cookies tonight. The plan was to make enough heart-shaped confections for EC & Lil Q to take some to school, and for Mr. Q to be able to take some to work on Valentine's Day.

I used the same recipe as I did at Christmas. The Christmas cookies were AWESOME. EC and I had a great time decorating them, and they were super yummy. I've always been a little hestitant to make sugar cookies because they always stick to whatever surface I'm cutting them out on, but I solved that problem by using lots of flour. OR SO I THOUGHT.

I didn't have many problems getting them off the Silpat tonight, but I had real issues getting them off the baking trays after I pulled them out of the oven. They stuck to my baking stones. Unusual, but not completely unheard of. They stuck to my "nothing ever sticks to this cookie sheet" cookie sheet. They even stuck to parchment paper! You know there's something wrong when cookies will stick to parchment.

I'm totally bewildered, flummoxed, and nonplussed. I guess it's possible that I was using too MUCH flour tonight - which would explain why some of the cookies had an almost bread-like crust. But I had really good results last time and didn't change anything. The only other thing I can think of is that it snowed yesterday, so maybe the change in humidity is making the difference. Any thoughts?

The only good news to come out of this is that there are lots of broken cookies, which means more for me to eat.

* I know it's not a word. But it should be.

Comments:
I have never baked a cookie in my life (at least not the edible ones). Sorry!
 
I think you're right about the humidity. The moisture content of flour can make a big difference in the outcome of your baked goods.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home