Legal Quandary

Monday, January 03, 2005

First Day of Winter Quarter - A Review

Classes were not nearly as horrible as I expected. If you look over to the right, above the archives, you'll see which classes I'm slacking off in taking this quarter.

Evidence, which continues on from last quarter, started out a bit slow. Prof Evidence warmed us up by playing a couple audio and video snippets from previous years. One was ok - someone had made up new lyrics about the hearsay exceptions to go with some song from a musical I couldn't quite identify. The other was just God-awful. By which I mean truly painful to watch. Three white guys "rapping" about prior bad acts but to the tune (if you can call it that) of "Baby Got Back." Apparently, Prof Evidence was impressed by this display of complete lack of talent creativity and awarded them all lots of extra credit points. Maybe E. Spat and I can dream up something to the tune of "Voulez-vous coucher avec moi ce soir?" But I wouldn't count on it.

Federal Courts didn't meet today, so I'll have to wait til tomorrow to review it. I do know Prof FC assigned 28 pages of hellaciously boring reading for the first day of class. If Casenotes is accurate, the first couple of weeks will look a lot like a ConLaw review, complete with Marbury v. Madison, which Prof Con Law covered in excruciating detail last year. He showed us powerpoint slides of all the historic places and spoke in great detail and with obvious longing about James Madison's green velvet outfit. I'm not making this up.

Transmission of Wealth. The professor seems nice, if somewhat disorganized, AND she gives you the option of writing a paper (albeit a long one) instead of taking a final exam. So...if anyone has any good potential topics on Wills, Trusts, and Estates, please send them care of Legal Quandary to legalquandary.yahoo.com. Or just post them in comments - whatever.

Negotiation and Dealmaking - How to Take Over the World in 3 Easy Lessons. Ok, I made that last part up. I'm taking this in the Business School, well, because the law school Negotiations class was full, and lawyers sometimes interact with non-lawyers. At least I hope they do. Also, because I thought it would be cool to get out of the law school every once in awhile. It's supposed to be a 2 hour class which meets twice a week. We were done today in 20 minutes. Also - there's no final. Damn, I miss undergrad.

So, that's it. No reading/homework tonight because we did nothing meaningful in any of my classes, and I'm actually a day ahead for what is the first, and will probably be the only time in my law school career. If I were smart, I'd have done the reading for the next class as well, but we all know that's not gonna happen.