Legal Quandary

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

The Good News is That You've Got Your Whole Life Ahead of You...

2 days down and so far, so good.

I don't know anyone yet, so that's a little strange. And lonely. That's something no one mentions about transfering/visiting.

When I went for "Orientation" last week, the registration people I talked to didn't have a clue what to do with me. ("A visiting student? Um, we don't have a name tag for you - here's a stick-on one and a checklist. Please just follow the checklist and don't bother us.") So I ended up sitting through the 1L pep talk where the administration tells a bunch of lies about how "this school is different" and "you're going to meet your best friends here."

Except this time I was able to view it through the (admittedly) jaded eyes of a 3L. I also thought it was funny that the guy doing most of the lying talking strongly resembled the Geico insurance guy. Not the gecko himself, but the other guy. I kept expecting him to break out and do the robot. Sadly, I was disappointed. Maybe I can talk him into it at the Transfer/Visiting students reception at a date yet to be determined. I'll keep you posted.

The classes themselves seem to be about the same as at TVPNU, except the class lengths are all sort of bizarre. 50 minutes here, 1 hour and 15 minutes there, 1 hour and 50 minutes in another. The good news is I think I've already identified the one class I can kinda get away with slacking in. Which is good - because it's the one class where my book hasn't shown up yet.

I cannot slack in Family Law. My prof - the one who wrote the text I asked about, seems - in a word - awesome. He's very animated, gets everyone involved in the discussion, and is wicked smart. Because it's Family Law where nobody gets to stay married, the discussion of every case so far has included the phrase "Honey, I've got some good news and some bad news. The good news is you've got your whole life ahead of you...."

Comments:
The Orientation? Are you an 1L or transfer student?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home